Notre Dame Eliminates Use of Elevated Scissor Lifts Following Student’s Death

March 9, 2011
Following the death of a 20-year-old student who was filming a football practice when his lift collapsed, Notre Dame announced plans to install a permanent, remote video system for the university’s practice fields to eliminate the need for elevated scissor lifts.

Twenty-year-old Declan Sullivan, a junior from Long Grove, Ill., fell to his death Oct. 27, 2010, when the hydraulic scissor lift he was using collapsed during weather conditions reported to include wind gusts of up to 50 mph. He had been filming the practice for the university’s Department of Athletics and had tweeted his concerns about being in the lift in the wind.

“I said in the days after Declan’s death that we would do everything in our power to make changes to ensure that such an accident does not happen again – here or elsewhere,” said Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s president. “This system puts safety at the forefront in a completely new and innovative way.”

Construction began March 8 on the outdoor remote video system, which includes four cameras (one at each practice field) mounted on 50-foot poles. The cameras will be housed in temperature-controlled units, and a fiber-optic network will transmit video to a control room, where members of the athletics video services department will be able to edit and produce various materials for coaches and players. Video department personnel will continue to manually operate cameras from the two permanent structures on the sidelines of the practice fields.

The system is expected to be fully operational when the football team begins spring practice March 23.

The Indiana Occupational Health and Safety Association continues to investigate the October 2010 fatality. Notre Dame also initiated its own internal investigation and will turn over its findings and recommendations to Peter Likins, president emeritus of the University of Arizona and member of National Academy of Engineering, to provide an independent review of the process.

“Investigations and external reviews such as this take time, but I assure you that, when complete, we will issue a public report on the outcome, including information on the events of the afternoon of Oct. 27, any institutional ramifications and recommendations for safety policies in the future,” said Jenkins.

About the Author

Laura Walter

Laura Walter was formerly senior editor of EHS Today. She is a subject matter expert in EHS compliance and government issues and has covered a variety of topics relating to occupational safety and health. Her writing has earned awards from the American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE), the Trade Association Business Publications International (TABPI) and APEX Awards for Publication Excellence. Her debut novel, Body of Stars (Dutton) was published in 2021.

Sponsored Recommendations

Ensuring a Safer Workplace through a Comprehensive Contractor Qualification Framework

March 13, 2025
Avetta is a leader in contractor management, and with over 15 years of industry experience, we can help you establish a robust contractor pre-qualification program that aligns...

EQT Private Equity to Acquire Avetta from WCAS

March 13, 2025
EQT commits to supporting Avetta in its ongoing growth and innovation journey.

Guide to OSHA Workplace Lighting Requirements

March 13, 2025
Learn OSHA workplace lighting requirements to enhance safety, productivity, and quality. Discover standards, compliance benefits, and risks of non-compliance.

What is the difference between Tier 1, 2, and 3 suppliers and why do they matter?

March 13, 2025
From raw materials to final products, each supplier tier poses risks and liabilities that can impact your organization. Avetta's supply chain management software offers peace ...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of EHS Today, create an account today!